Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why we all need a mentor....

I am about to get up on my soap box, and I wanted to give you fair warning....

One year ago this coming week, Jim and I were in church listening to a message on one of the churches of Revelation. (Honestly I don't know which one....) But Gib (our pastor) made a comment that went something like, if you don't have someone in your life who is willing to tell you that you are heading down the road to disaster, or to let you know your house is burning down around you, you are heading down the wrong path. (not his exact words, I'm sure his was much better.) Jim and I looked at each other at that moment, and we knew that there was something missing. Which led me to send an email to the 3 people that I teach Sunday school with just asking for them to pray about several issues for me. In my mind it was just the beginning of my quest for a mentor, but in God's timing, it was the end. From the email, God led us to a beautiful, Godly couple, who a month later took us out to dinner to, as I call it, interview us, to make sure we were serious. I was a nervous wreck, I played with my soda straw the entire evening.

The year has been such a blessing for us. In the beginning, when I met with her, and wanted to list off all the things that my husband needed to change, because I thought me?? I don't need to change, he's the one who really needs a mentor, I just need someone to help me get him into shape. Did God even take those thoughts and make me eat them. =) After we got started, I got to see just how much work I needed, and how I needed to change. After I became willing, He went to work. As I sit here and type, I am a changed person, and I love it. Has it been easy, no way!!!

All that to say this: Last evening, our mentors came over for a visit. Jim and I have been working through an issue that has left us needing some advise from them. What I love about them is that they are willing to ask the tough questions. And they weren't willing to settle for vague answers. God truly blessed us when He put them in our lives. God allowed them to become part of our lives, and they have walked with us through some powerful things this past year.

So if you are reading this and you think, hey I need that, first pray, then act. Do not be afraid to ask someone. It seems like many in my generation are too caught up in worrying about what others think of them. (no worries, I am guilty of this too....more on that to come...) He will lead you to the right people in His timing. I know He did for me.

1 comment:

watson said...

good word sis. keep 'em coming