Friday, August 22, 2008

Perfection must be Faked

BEIJING -- China's $100-million Olympics opening ceremony wowed its global TV audience with a lavish spectacle and pizazz that tried to present a perfect image of China to the world, right down to the perfect teeth of the little girl who took center-stage and sang an ode to the motherland. Except the voice was not hers. It was recorded and belonged to another girl, with better pipes but crooked baby teeth and a chubby face. Nor was all quite what it seemed with the dazzling fireworks sequence watched by a billion or more television viewers. Worried about the difficulty of cameras capturing 29 sequential explosions from Tiananmen Square to the Olympic Village, the Chinese visual effects team re-created all but one of the big bangs in an animation studio, and inserted the 55-second clip into the live TV coverage. Perfection, it seems, must sometimes be faked.
LA Times by Mark Magnier ( for the entire story click: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-fg-lipsync13-2008aug13,0,3009926.story )
It seems that many are in an uproar over this contraversy surrounding the little girls who sang / performed at the Olympics. We as Americans should not be surprised by this, we've done it for years in Hollywood. One of my favorite all time movies is The Sound of Music. I have loved it since I was a little girl. I remember after we got our first VCR, I wanted to tape it off the TV so I could watch it anytime I wanted. My brother, who did not share my love of the movie, was not impressed with my parents decision to allow me to do this. So in great big brother fashion, he taped over it after about 3 months of me watching it constantly. Imagine my surprise, years later as an adult, I found out that star Christoper Plummer, did not sing any of the songs, but another man's voice was dubbed in. As a teenager, I also remember the uproar when it was leaked that a body double was used for Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.
"Perfection, it seems, must sometimes be faked." How true this is. We in our own lives go through the paces of life, lettting people think that life is perfect, and most of the time, that is simply not true. How many people you see would be shocked to hear how you really are. I really struggle with worring about what people think of me. In part, I know it is because I've grew up and learned that I wasn't good enough. Truly I am working on this, in fact, this quote from Max Lucado hit me square in the face the other day:
"As long as you think you can control people’s behavior toward you, you are held in bondage by their opinions. If you think you can control their opinion, and their opinion isn’t positive, then guess who you have to blame? Yourself. It’s a game with unfair rules and fatal finishes. Jesus didn’t play it, nor should you.” Max Lucado
I am so ready to shed myself of this bondage that I have so long been a slave to. Jesus is the only person who was ever perfect, and I can't live up to that even as much as I try. I am so thankful I don't have to anymore.

No comments: