Saturday, August 2, 2008

Thoughts of Ohio....

In September, Jim and I will have lived in Collierville 3 years. I can't believe it. Last night, however I was reminded of a few things that I miss. While out running around, we found ourselves at the Old Time Pottery on Winchester, and low and behold, I saw a glimpse of paradise...the glowing red "Hot and Ready" of the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts store that was in the parking lot of the Old Time Pottery. As I happily munched on that warm delicious doughnut, I was reminded of Ohio. There seemed to be a Krispy Kreme on a lot of corners in Ohio, and those things you buy in the grocery store do not come close to comparing. If you are out that way and you see the glowing red sign, I recommend stopping, you will not regret it.

It's funny how a lot of the things I miss about Ohio is food. We lived in Akron, located in Northeast Ohio, and I grew up in Sebring, a tiny little place about 45 minutes east of there. There are many things that we still ask the family to bring for us when they come. Our favorite Amish wine, Dan Dee Cheese Twists, Trail Bologna, my Mom's homemade strawberry jam, and Guigsberg Baby Swiss. There are some things that do not travel well....chicken from the chicken house in Barberton, a cheeseburger and fries from Swenson's, and a pizza from Capri's in Highland square. I realize that we generally get our "fix" when we go North to visit, but we are not making it this year.

While there are some things here that compare, there are some standards that just haven't been met yet. If you know of anything close, please let us know.

1 comment:

Segmac said...

Why do you think we go down to Graceland so often? Its because there is a "KripyKreem" right down the street.

Mmmm now Im hungry.