Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Reading for Distraction....

Lately, I will admit, I've been reading a lot. Mainly to distract myself from the things going on around me. My counselor would call it a coping mechanism, I call it getting by. I've read some great Christian fiction, even some great nonfiction...a lot of "fluff" to put things into perspective. Until now, while at my local library in Collierville, I picked up The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning thinking I could add to my list of distractions. For those of you who have read it, I can almost hear you laughing, because you know that I am no longer distracted, but thinking. While I am only at the beginning of the book, I had to share this passage that just jumped out at me.

"The Good News means that we can stop lying to ourselves. The sweet sound of amazing grace saves us from the necessity of self-deception. It keeps us from denying the though Christ was victorious, the battle of lust, greed and pride still rages within us. As a sinner who has been redeemed, I can acknowledge that I am often unloving, irritable, angry and resentful with those closest to me. When I go to church I can leave my white hat at home and admit that I've failed. God not only loves me as I am, but also knows me as I am. Because of this I do not need to apply spiritual cosmetics to make myself presentable to Him. I can accept ownership of my poverty and powerlessness and neediness."

For most of my Christian life, I was basically taught the "great prosperity gospel" if you are a good girl and do the right things He will bless you. What an awakening I have had. I've seen first hand how messed up life can get, and still see the blessings and the grace and mercy that He has given me.

Thank you Lord for letting the the past few months be a distraction, and forgive me for them. It appears that it is time to get down to business. I'll wait for your direction.

No comments: