Monday, July 21, 2008

Living Hope resource sharing Idea!

I have been thinking about this for a while now and have shared with several friends lately. I thought I would put the idea in a post and maybe get some feedback. I have found that there are many in our LH family that have needs and others have excess resources. How can we bring the two together more effectively?
I was thinking that we could work to set up an online community of sorts for LH. Not just an online bulletin board type website, but an actual community site. One with discussion forums, links to ministry resources, and a place to post a need for a service resource that you are in need of ( garden tools, tiller, auto repair tools, ect) or you could post a service that you are willing to provide in an effort to build relationships. An example of the later would be something like, “I am very skilled at organization and workspace optimization. I would like to share this skill with some you by spending time getting to know you and your family by while helping you become more organized.”
It could even be something as simple as “ I have a Gas Dryer in my garage and it is here for anyone that needs it.”
What are your thoughts on how we could do something like this?

5 comments:

Segmac said...

Yes I agree we do need something like this but its going to take some proper planning to do it correctly. I know Mars Hill Seattle is doing something like this but since Im not a member I have no way of seeing how they have set it up (thats is how it should be too).

I think step 1 is to run this past a few Elders. If they think this is something our people could benefit from then we can start to put together a list of what this could/should do for the church.

We might actually have to a few rules put in place for something like this to function properly... you think this group of nonconformists is ok with that? ;)

I'm in if you need me.

Jim said...

Thanks Shawn! I am with you.. on the structure thing. I might see if I can find an example online.

Ron said...

Hi Jim;

I REALLY like your idea about sharing. What a novel idea. Sounds like something out of the early ACTS church - no one was in need.

I also like the idea of running this by the elders. They probably have some ideas about implementation that I'm not thinking of.

watson said...

jim,

jr and i have been working on something very similar (perhaps a first, next step) to what you might be imagining.

coming soon to a church near you!

-watson

Jim said...

watson,
cool we can talk about it more friday bro. Thanks