Thursday, July 24, 2008

Being Pushed out of the Nest

A couple of weeks ago, Jim and I were sitting outside in our backyard one morning. I had just returned from my morning walk, finished my quiet time, and we were having coffee, wondering why Bradley (our early bird) wasn't awake yet. While we visited and read over the morning paper, we heard this strange sounding thump. It was loud enough to raise me out of my comfy chair to see what had caused the noise. As I looked around, Jim found the culprit....a baby bird. We looked up and saw the nest in our tree and this poor bird on the ground, because he obviously hadn't figured out what he was supposed to be doing with the wings he was given.

I have been thinking about that bird lately. For those of you who know us well, know that life here has been...well, interesting here to say the very least. But in reality, I was that little bird, who hadn't quite figured out what needed to be done with the beautiful wings that God gave me. Almost a year ago when He gave me a shove out of my nest, I hit the ground pretty hard. But, just like the bird, I have learned to rely on what He has given me and pressed forward. In the months that followed, I grew stronger in Him, not realizing what the future held. But when Hurricane Life hit from every side imaginable, I was able to stand in Him....in the nest that I had made on my own, letting my Heavenly Father be my guide and companion.

My point is this: we are all in our own little nests of comfort. Some of us need to be pushed out like I did, but now, I can honestly say I am ready to jump out and spread my wings when I am told...no it isn't always easy or fun, but it is so rewarding to follow Him.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Great Job Katie,I love it,Love you too.