Thursday, July 17, 2008

Doesn’t take much for a Kid!

Today I had the day off to spend mostly with my five year old son Bradley. The day started with me asking him “what do you want to do with dad today”. His reply,” It doesn’t matter as long as I get to spend it with my best pal !” Wow, that felt great.
I wanted to do something really special for him. I thought about a lot of things, the park, The Children’s museum, The Zoo. I pondered it all for a while but decided that we should stay home since our budget is very tight these days. We actual ended up just playing in the water in the back yard for four hours. After about an hour or so again I started thinking, I should go to the store and buy my little guy a pool. Instead he was just as happy (as you can see below) with a laundry basket lined with a trash bag and a spray park, made from old hose parts. We had a blast.

When we were getting ready to come in the house he said,” that was the best water park ever! Thanks for playing with me dad.” As I have been thinking about the events of today, the commonality between my reaction to Bradley’s request, and my/our reactions to God requests hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought, how often we try to read the right books, sing the right songs, give the proper amount, and build the grandest church, when just like my son, the only thing that the God of the universe wants to do is spend some time with us, just where we are and an just as I am.

Mat 10 :13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Wow, isn't it awesome how God uses our kids to speak to us. Do you think that sometimes HE allows us to see HIMSELF though the eyes of our kids?