Saturday, February 28, 2009

3 Yankees and a Good Ole' Southern Boy....

Today I have finally realized that the South has entered my house. We moved here in 2005, when Bradley was only 2 and a few months old. He has completely converted our Northern ways to the gentle South. This morning, we were going to the library, and since it is weirdly cold here today, I told the kids they needed their coats. Bradley replied with I'll wear my coat, but I am not wearing a toboggan. A what? Last I checked that was a long sled, not a hat. Taylor looked at him and had no clue what he was talking about. In fact, the only reason we knew is Laurel, our friend always says it, and we had to ask one day what she was talking about. He has also told us he wants a dawg (dog), we can find the paper we were looking for on the pisle (pile) and when is Jew-lie coming?? (July) . His "slang" makes me smile, and wonder how different we will sound when we finally make it North again. At first, it was hard for me, because the speaking here is so much more relaxed than in the North. (But everything else is way more relaxed too!!) We were corrected as kids for not correctly pronouncing words, but here, it is just the way things are, and I am ok with that. Ahhh the ways of the South. =)

No comments: